Monday, July 20, 2009

Orchestral Twee Pop that is Noah and the Whale



I've been in high anticipation of Noah and the Whale's second album The First Day of Spring since I fell in love with their debut album and since they canceled their Los Angeles show to supposedly "work on the second album".Needless to say, I have high expectations, and at this point it is difficult for me to say if those expectations have been met or not. About a month ago the band released the first track "The First Day of Spring" and it was very much so an introduction to how the entire album would sound. I am now as I as then worried that Noah and the Whale has lost their sense of fun. Almost all of the tracks seem to wallow in sadness without building up to much of a climax and Charles Fink's lyrics seem to be striking the same note of isolation and loneliness. Is the album pretty? Yes. Do I think that all Noah and the Whale fans should check it out? Definitely. I haven't had a chance to fully allow the album to sink into my skin, so I will give it a chance to warm up to me. After all the albums that have to fight to win your affection are always the best ones, right?

I sort of imagine that this is what Sigur Ros would sound like if they wrote English Folk tunes. The First Day of Spring is set to be released at the end of August. As for now you can get their great debut album


The First Day of Spring Tracklist:
1. "The First Days of Spring"
2. "Our Window"
3. "I Have Nothing"
4. "My Broken Heart"
5. "Instrumental I"
6. "Love of an Orchestra"
7. "Instrumental II"
8. "Stranger"
9. "Blue Skies"
10. "Slow Glass"
11. "My Door Is Always Open"

Check it Out: Noah and the Whale - Love of an Orchestra

No comments:

Post a Comment